e:Med Project Group
Mass spectrometry-based Omics
Omics-derived large-scale data is one of the keystones in systems medicine research. As a primary source for computational analysis and modeling, high-throughput omics data together with functional and clinical studies provide information on underlying disease mechanisms, patient stratification using predictive, diagnostic and prognostic markers and highly used for identification of therapeutic targets.
Despite current prevalence of genomics and transcriptomics datasets in elucidation of diseases mechanisms, other Omics techniques including proteomics, lipidomics and metabolomics provide highly complementary information necessary for systems medicine data integration.
Mass spectrometry (MS)-based Omics technology became a main tool in high-throughput acquisition of large datasets in the field of proteome, lipidome and metabolome analysis. Development of high resolution and mass accuracy instruments as well as significant improvements in sensitivity and analysis speed, determined wide application of MS-based Omics in biomedical research and clinical diagnostics. High relevance of MS-generated large datasets for systems medicine data integration was demonstrated by numerous studies including identification and validation of diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers as well as elucidation of mechanistic aspects of disease onset and progression.
LipoSysMed Summer School, the first training and educational activity of PG MS-based Omics, took place in Leipzig March 18th-22nd, 2019. https://home.uni-leipzig.de/liposysmed/
We would like to invite all scientists and clinicians within e:Med community working with MS-derived Omics data to initiate exchange of the information, resources and ideas on acquisition, analysis and systems medicine integration of MS-derived Omics data.
We are particularly interested in attracting researchers from different areas of expertise (clinicians, analytical scientists, biostatisticians, bioinformaticians, clinical diagnostics experts) as well as at different career levels (projects PIs, post-docs and PhD students).
PG activities are directed to:
• Discussion and sharing of the protocols, tools, resources and MS data within e:Med community;
• Establishment of raw MS data resource pools focused on medicine relevant tissue (e.g. blood plasma, adipose, cardiac tissue etc.)
• Interactions with international consortia focused on standardization in MS-based Omics
• Updates and discussions on bioinformatics solutions in high-throughput MS-based Omics
• Discussions on integration strategies for MS-based Omics data in protein and metabolic networks, GEMs and mathematical models
• Organization of annual workshops covering advances and challenges in particular fields of biomedical MS (e.g. clinical proteomics, lipidomics, metabolomics, biomarker discovery, clinical assay design)
• Training of young e:Med researches in MS technology and complimentary tools via topical online courses and dedicated Summer Schools
Interested scientists are invited to participate in the activities of the project groups at all times.
For scientific questions, please contact Dr. Maria Fedorova: email@example.com
If you are interested to participate in the project group, please contact Dr. Lioba Courth at the e:Med office: firstname.lastname@example.org